Foreign Travel Guidance – Update and Reminder

With the current exit date of the 31st October looming and a no-deal Brexit still a possibility, the Association of British Insurers (ABI) reminds consumers and businesses of the insurance implications if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.

Why is a Green Card needed?

A Green Card is an international certificate of insurance which guarantees that the motorist has the necessary third party insurance cover. These certificates prove that customers are suitably insured to drive in these countries. A physical copy of a Green Card on green paper is needed when traveling as digital copies are not currently accepted. If customers arrive at the border without a physical Green Card, they may not be allowed to drive in that country.

What does it mean to your customers?

At present, TFP Schemes policies allow policyholders to drive within the European Union, cover is still in place and nothing will change. If your customers are planning a trip that is completed before the 31st October 2019  then there is no change for them.

How will we be issuing Green Cards?

The process of issuing Green Cards for driving within the EU is currently being implemented by TFP Schemes. Until more certainty is provided about the formal agreement, the guidance in the interim is that you should contact us if customers intend to drive abroad at least a month before travel, we will issue and send the required document for your customers attention.

We will keep you updated with further information when there is more clarity regarding the long term implications of Brexit.

Will there be a fee for Green Cards?

TFP Schemes will not currently charge an administration fee to issue Green Cards other than where cover required is outside the standard cover/policy limitations and the relevant Insurer charges a separate premium.

More information and FAQs

The ABI have issued more detailed guidance, and some FAQs for the industry. This can be found HERE.